Punishment & Recovery

Cheque Bouncing is serious offence punishable with two years imprisonment and fine up to two times the amount of the cheque, under section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 but only if the holder of the cheque follows the strict procedure for issue of notice.

Further a parallel civil action can also be instituted, for which a recovery suit can be filed under Civil Procedure Code for the recovery of cheque amount.


  1. Vinayak R Gajam says

    I am Vinayak G(complainant) I want to know that whether I will get my amount(money) if I file a 138case or do I have to file another case to get my money. If yes then under what section I will have to file a case to get my money. Request your assistance.

    Vinayak R Gajam.

  2. ashok bhimarao shinde says

    i was applied for degree course with realetive fee one year ago . but the course for which i applied was cancelled from institute . thane institute sended me checue but due unsufficient fund the checue was bounced . Now the institute not payeeing money what to do

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>